From The Front Lines...
We were exceptionally busy today with a large number of orders and for that, we couldn't be more appreciative. Here are a few thoughts from the front lines of pie baking:
- One year ago today, an order of 47 nine-inch pies for a single customer would have sent us all into a tailspin. Today, we approached it with the dead calm reserved for operating rooms. Except with a sound track of Justin Timberlake.
- Mac and I spent a solid seven minutes making peach praline topping and discussing all the solid points we have for enjoying Justin Timberlake as much as we do. Points one, two, and three are simply that Justin brought the sexy back.
- Jeanne spent most of the afternoon on a quest to find a source for 12-inch and nine-inch boxes locally. Because running out of the baby pie box isn't enough fun for us all, we felt it only fair if we ran out of the 12-inch and nine-inch boxes as well. I swear to you, if I had a billion dollars, I would simply buy a billion pie boxes. Or 99,999,990 boxes and ten Xanax.
- Since Jeanne was about town basically handing over fistfuls of dollars for boxes, I was in charge at PJP Buttonwood. And while she would have cut production late this afternoon on an order that is to be picked up at 6 am tomorrow and preferred to come at 2 am to finish it, I basically worked double-time because I hate 2 am and will lattice until my fingers fall off to avoid it at all costs.
- We ended up working until well after 7 and then I went home and did what any prudent business owner does...laid on the living room floor with our dog and had baseless opinions about who should be voted of Big Brother 17. Classy.
- When Jeanne was there, we did get into a smallish skirmish about ribbons. We had 144 tarts on order and each tart needed to be bagged and tied with a cute ribbon. Just so you know, Jeanne follows the Martha Stewart 43-step process to bow tying and I don't. I'll let you sort out how that all went down.
- We keep a year-long planner at the front counter and we write down appointments, reminders, events, and whatnot in it. June 30th was the last day in the book and so now I have a whole year of PJP that I'm tucking away for posterity...
- We rolled out our new Strawberry Lemonade pie today. If you are a regular reader, you'll recognize this pie as the source of Jeanne's "Get that pie out of here!" dance. That said, about 40 other people sampled the Strawberry Lemonade pie that day and all loved it. You probably will too...because just look at it...
- Now that I look at it more closely, I wonder if we could swirl PJP or #WPD into that pie...because that would be sort of awesome.
- We had a charming group of new visitors stop by today. They are vacationing here from Ohio and I kid you not, one was an amazing tattoo artist and the other had PIE TATTOOS. If she lived here, I would insist that she work with us. Anyone with a rolling pin on their arm is clearly on the road to #WorldPieDomination.